Sunday, August 17, 2008

Flaming Gorge

Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area is a special place for me. I moved to Dutch John, Utah the day after I graduated from high school and continued to go back every summer until I graduated from college. Something continues to draw me back. I have worked on the Ashley National Forest in three different positions and the place continues to intrigue me. You never know what you'll see in some of the seldom visited spots.

I had the opportunity to go there this weekend for a friend's wedding ceremony. We visited the Green River and hiked up the trail. I saw some wild turkeys near Little Hole which I never saw any of the years I worked there. I guess it could be due to the fact that the wildland fire that burned around Dutch John and Little Hole changed some of the habitat.

It made me think about all the crazy stunts we used to do after work at night (most of which I can't mention here). In a town of less than one hundred people you come up with some crazy stuff. How do you stay up until five in the morning and then go to work at six? I guess in a way maybe my "habitat" has also changed over the past ten years. I've found new and amazing places to frequent, but this place remains among my favorite places in the world.

No comments: