Sunday, August 10, 2008

What I've Been Up To...

Since this is my first ever blog, I'm writing about what I've been up to. I graduated from Snow College and Utah State University with a bachelor's degree in Forest Management. I've been working for the U.S. Forest Service in the Western United States since then in Utah, Montana, Nevada, and now Wyoming. After jobs in wildliand firefighting, helitack, forest health monitoring, and trail crew, I settled down as an Environmental Coordinator for the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest. It's one of those jobs no one knows how to explain, but basically means I do a lot of editing and writing of environmental documents and responding to appeals and litigation on projects that the Forest Service does to comply with the National Environmental Policy Act. I'm currently working on the Wild and Scenic Rivers EIS for the National Forests in Utah. It has been very interesting, but means I get to work in Salt Lake City most of the time.

I love my job with the Forest Service, but it does little for the creative side of my brain so I find myself writing books. This summer I met some literary agents at the Jackson Hole Writer's Conference and have started sending out queries to some of them. To see more about my writing, check out my website at http://www.amycbarker.com/.

In 1998, I got married to my fellow trail crew partner and wildland firefighter Walt. He fought fires for the past ten years and is currently in the process of a career change.

4 comments:

shelley said...

Hey Amy your blog is great. Thanks for the info you emailed me. I started a blog as well it is bssbcgoodnight.blogspot.com it isn't very interesting yet but hopefully that will change!

Jodi said...

I am so proud of you. I hope this helps us keep in touch a little bit better. Welcome to the world of blogging. Now we need to work on Kim and Pam!!!

Tiffany said...

It was so good to hear from you. Our mom's stay in touch, and now we can too. I really need to update mine. Welcome to the blogging world.

Unknown said...

Hi Amy, Thanks for sending your blog to me. It's pretty cool. It's good to keep updated on how your friends are!! Sorry, You couldn't make it to Vegas!

I miss seeing you!

Lisa